Monday, April 21, 2014

Sakura Crazy

Here in Tokyo, the cherry blossoms, called "sakura" are almost all done blooming.  It's beautiful but tragic to see them falling like delicate pink snow in the warm spring breeze.  I wanted to capture as much of the season as I could since the blossoms only last about 10 days.  So I went with some friends on a what turned out to be somewhat of a sakura pilgrimage all around the city to see various places where their loveliness is especially renowned. 

This is the famous weeping sakura at Rikugien park in Komagome.  Every year it draws thousands of visitors who come to see it both during the day and when it is illuminated for night viewing.


 

This was my first glimpse at a sakura tree in full bloom and the sight was absolutely stunning.

Coming to Japan, seeing the sakura was #1 on my Japan Bucket List.  So, naturally I was like a small child, running around taking pictures of every sakura tree I could find and generally enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of God's creation.  




Sakura season here in Japan is anticipated like nothing else I know.  The newscasters give the nation a day-by-day update on how the blossoms are progressing toward full bloom in order to give the eternally busy Tokyoites time to plan a sakura viewing day with their friends, family, and co-workers.  Leading up to the short-lived event, there is sakura themed everything for sale in shops all over.  Sakura cakes, donuts, and other confections, sakura tea, sakura ice cream, and even a sakura burger at McDonald's. Here I am holding my sakura Starbucks mug given to me as a welcome gift by our church's lead pastors.

 
 It's a craze that visibly sweeps the nation!  And I got willingly caught up in it, being my first time ever experiencing such a buzz of widespread jubilation toward a change of the seasons. 

Our ladies life group that meets ever Wednesday spent two weeks in a row outside enjoying picnic hanami (flower viewing) under the cherry blossoms.  I even learned to make my own bento (lunch box)!




I also went to the Imperial Palace grounds to see the sakura trees that line the moat around the castle.  It was unfortunately raining that day, but it made for some pretty pictures.  The cloudy sky cast a soft grey light on the sakura petals that swirled in the moat's waters like green tea.







All in all, sakura season is my favorite time of year in Japan.  The anticipation, the beauty, the childlike wonder, the communal appreciation of God's creation, and the collective sigh when all the petals fall is like an entire life span in just a few short days.  I cannot wait for the next time I get to see them!  

Thank you again for praying for me and for waiting so patiently for this post.  You are so amazing and I cannot wait to share with you more of what is happening here in Japan!

Mata ne! (Later!)

Amanda